GPO Rally

7th October 1988 - Barrel Bikers Bucks MCC

GPO Rally in 8th Year Shock horror as the G.P.O. Rally, run by the Barrel Bikers, enters its 8th year. Er, look, you don't really believe this is a newspaper, do you? Okay, let's start again ... You, (whoever you are, I mean, I'm only the artist, I don't know what's going on, no-one tells me nuffink ... (long sigh) um, you are invited to the 8th G.P.O. Rally. DETAILS It's on the 7th-9th October 1988, there's a 250 limit and it's pre-book only. Tickets £5 each. There's the usual noisy disco, noisy live band, noisy Barrel Bikers, silly games, awards, you know the sort of thing. EXCUSES Not been before? That's no excuse! Givvus yer money! If you have been to the G.P.O Rally before, of course you had such a wonderfully good time you will gladly sell off all your possessions (except your bike) and all your relations just to come to the G.P.O. Rally. What do you mean, we are all big 'eads? Who us?

A change of site this year. It appeared to be a regular hangout for local outlaw-types, in a field called 'Harley Farm', (or some-such). An old Nissen Hut with a few rickety outside buildings which housed a cafe of sorts. I found that the field used for the first GPO was only a couple of hundred yards away, just over the railway line.

Friday night was a bit quiet on the site, as the rain was insistently falling and many of us drifted across the main road to a nice warm pub, who took exception when I removed my boots to let my feet dry out a bit! We returned after a while and some music and beer was consumed.

On Saturday the breakfast, although adequate, was not sufficient and the pub had far nicer food, so they were visited again.

There were a few nicely restored bikes there, despite the weather, and one of the 'games' seemed to consist mainly of pulling an old tractor out of the pile of wood that was going to be the bonfire later on. There were some more traditional games as well.

A final quick trip to the pub for another of the pizzas followed. I think they complained to the organisers about muddy boots, or frightening off the regulars, and trips there dropped off considerably after that.

In the hut the party started. There was not nearly as much room as we were used to, mostly due to the number of sofas filling the space, so a lot of the time was spent sitting down. There was no stage, so the drinking/eating games were severely restricted and there was no nakedness on display. This didn't upset us greatly and the music and beer were consumed with relish.

A couple of rally-virgins were abused, as was the custom, and the party went on. I think the live band was 'The Hamsters', who were well known at the time.

Sunday was just as dull as the rest of the weekend had been, requiring a bit of drying out when I got home.

- Phil (the Spill) Drackley